[Consortium] Re: Linuxaudio.org staff updates

Dan Easley daneasley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 19:58:23 EST 2006

Sorry for the delayed response.  i just got promoted from being a
part-time announcer at the public radio station i work at to being a
full-time operations manager, so i've been a bit out of sorts learning
automation systems, routers, etc.  verdict: windows is still hell to
work with, and i still hate drive letters, but it's awful nice to
finally have a job so similar to my hobbies.

at any rate, i'm afraid i haven't made any progress yet past the very
rough outline posted here: <http://towndowner.com/lao-outline.html>.
current plans, if that outline is good, are to begin filling in the
structure with actual content and links to actively-developed content
elsewhere on the web, and to include all member projects of
linuxaudio.org.

i think two promising options for docs.*, both bandied around a bit on
various lists, are

1. setting up a wiki, a la
<http://lau.linuxaudio.org/faq/index.php/Main_Page> (though there are
security concerns - twice now i've removed spam from this page) and

2. community development of a new edition of dave's book.  was there
any resolution as to the possibility of doing this?  i believe dave
ran it past his publisher but i can't remember the results.  i haven't
seen his book but am planning to buy it as soon as i start bringing in
the full-time wage - would it be a good idea to use it as a base for
our documentation (not word-for-word but structurally)?  or would that
incur a property rights liability?

i really think the wiki is the way to go.  it seems the best way to
stimulate collaboration.

i'd be happy to play a larger role in docs.*, or in other parts of the
web site, though i suspect i'll be of limited use most of the next
month (i could devote perhaps two to three hours a week to the site
for that period) - in a month or so i'll have settled into the new
job, and could devote a more respectable amount of time to it.

thanks,

dan