[Consortium] Advertising Policy - linuxaudio.org

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Apr 9 10:16:16 UTC 2012

On Sun, April 8, 2012 3:29 am, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
> On 04/07/2012 09:16 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>> On 04/08/2012 01:38 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>>> Easter Greetings to the list.
>>>
>>> I have been contacted by a reputable audio company who would like to
>>> sponsor the "audio quality howto" by placing an advertisement on the
>>> page
>>> for a one year period.
>>>
>>> http://lau.linuxaudio.org/audio_quality_howto.htm
>>>
>>> Do we have an advertising policy for Linuxaudio.org?
>>
>> why would anyone want to advertise on a page that has been bitrotting
>> for 12 years?!
>>
> Bitrotting or not, the site is hosted by a land grant university for
> free which I believe (translation: I am 99.99% sure) means we cannot
> make money off the site unless we move to private hosting. I can
> double-check with the powers that be if anyone needs a 100% confirmation
> on this one.

They have offered $50 for a one year placement. I'm still deciding if that
is a fair amount.

I am happy to host paid content on my own server if we can redirect the
DNS to that location. I suggest that all content under the "lau" and
"quicktoots" subdomains are hosted on my server.

That way we are able to have paid content and free (as in beer) content so
we are Libre in the true sense of the word.

The next step will be to figure out a policy for advertising placements,
how to deal with any income that is generated and how far we are prepared
to go down that path.

Personally I would love to be able to pay people to contribute to LAO and
if advertising in a respectful and tasteful way helps make that possible
then I think it is a reasonable topic for discussion.

Cheers

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd