[Consortium] Advertising Policy - linuxaudio.org

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Apr 22 02:47:08 UTC 2012

On Sat, April 21, 2012 11:29 pm, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> Arguably the only reason you have someone interested in putting ads on
> your page is because it is a part of the linuxaudio.org ecosystem that
> typically gets over 1TB of traffic every month.

I'm pretty sure that is the entire reason. So now this *is* my page? In
that case what does it matter if we host it on a different webserver?

> If you wish to do your own
> page/domain that is fine but you cannot put ads on a page that is even
> remotely associated with the University as that would imply that the
> University endorses the said ads and that is simply not the case at all.

How exactly does that imply the University endorses the ads? By your
reasoning anything that is written by anyone who has anything to do with
Linux Audio would have to be supported by the University.

Considering that we have a solution for moving a couple of subdomains to a
new server we could also provide a disclaimer on any page that had
advertising to say...

"The contents of this page are not endorsed or supported by Virginia Tech
and the pages are not hosted by Virginia Tech and the domain is not owned
by Virginia Tech either."

I find your reasoning to be reactive and irrational.

> More so, even if the current ad is marginally acceptable those can change
> at any point in time and as such cannot be easily controlled and even more
> importantly have to be continually monitored.

You haven't even found out what the ad is yet but you have made a
prejudiced judgement. Does your remit mean you get to make these kinds of
calls on behalf of the Consortium?

Irrational and prejudiced?

> Long story short, if you wish to try to make some money with ads, please
> register a separate domain (which I believe you already have) and do
> whatever you wish to do with them. Based on the majority of the consortium
> members the current linuxaudio.org site will remain ad-free.

So far there are only a few people who have actually contributed to this
discussion. What makes you feel that it is a majority?

Where is your justification for this conclusion?

I'm very interested in the reasons that people have for being anti
advertising. If advertising is so evil why do we allow it at all on any of
the LAO pages or events associated with the consortium ?

Surely that is a double standard and extremely hypocritical.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd