SysEx interface for softsynths [was Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA and TiMidity++]

Richard Bown bownie at bownie.com
Wed Sep 18 19:55:56 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 18 September 2002 19:41, Josh Green wrote:

> I wonder how one would go about creating such a standard? Would we
> need to obtain a Manufacturer's ID for our SysEx standard? If we can
> find an existing standard we could just use it (we would then be
> using a companies ID). I see that a manufacturer's ID of 0x7D is
> listed as "non-commercial" on one web site, and then another as
> educational use only, not meant for use in distributed systems.

Perhaps we could either approach a small company that has an ID already or
reuse one that's pretty old and likely close to defunct (again with the
owner's consent).  I wonder who controls their use or if it's a case of
suck-it-and-see?

If we were going to the trouble of providing this kind of interface for
the benefit of sequencers and softsynths it'd be nice to define (and
perhaps extend) existing softsynth APIs such as the one that MuSE already
employs perhaps?  Standardisation at the functional level and perhaps
defining a draft API definition could prove a worthwhile interim exercise.