[linux-audio-dev] PTAF link and comments

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Feb 5 10:38:00 UTC 2003

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 06:49:11 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> you might be suprised to know that i agree with you :) thats partly
> why i wrote LCP (the LADSPA Control Protocol), and am adding support
> for it to Ardour as we speak. it doesn't avoid the IPC you fear
> between the GUI and the DSP code, but it does allow plugin authors to
> create GUIs using whatever tools they want to.

Horay, I'l dust off my LCP code. We still need to solve the service
discovery problem, but that is mild.

I think the IPC between UI and DSP has another advantage, it ensures that
the host can do reliable automation, as it forces the UI to serialise all
the control data and expose it to the host.

Ofcourse its easier in LADSPA as it has a simple, very regular control
scheme.

- Steve