[linux-audio-dev] Networking Linux audio folks

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Jan 10 03:57:00 UTC 2003

 >Perhaps just adding a couple check buttons to the database:
 >
 >[X] Available for professional Linux Audio consulting
 >[X] Available as a Linux audio community node

Easy enough to add.

 >There could then be 2 entry points to the
 >database, one catering to the company or individual looking for a Linux
 >audio consultant and another for those wanting to connect with other
 >audio developers. The latter being more losely based since one would
 >not necessarily need to be a professional to just meet others.

I'm still looking for the appropriate name for this db. I want it to
provide all the functionality that we need to allow users and developers
to do real networking. Whether that is for paid work or just to arrange
meetings with people in an area you may be travelling to/through.

I think it makes sense that as part of a comunity that is based on
openness we provide a way for people to get a little background info on
us. I also hope that this database will present one more level of
professionalism to the Linux audio developers public image.

 >I like the idea of having an email proxy so that one could hide their
 >email address (as an option) and a form could be provided that would
 >email the user from the internally stored address. I think the idea of
 >Spam might scare away some people from putting their info in the
 >database (like me).

I can make it more spammer unfriendly. I'll think about how. Currently
there is a form mailer provided to allow people to contact directly from
the site. Since setting this up for my business site a couple of years
ago it has proven to be a good way for people to contact me. So I have
provided this feature for the db also.

That is possibly the most useful feature on the site. Anyone (not tested
with lynx) can contact you directly.

 >Perhaps this might already be the case (haven't tried submitting
 >anything yet to the database) but having the street address info be
 >optional is good (just city/country is probably sufficient in many
 >cases) as well as phone number and any other items related to privacy.
 >Indicating optional and required fields would be nice on the entry >form.

Currently the only required entry is an email address. Soon I will have
a proper login faciltiy so there will also be a password required.

 >Maybe a resume URL would also be good, so if one is browsing through
 >lots of entries they can quickly jump to individual's resumes.

I figure this belongs in the specifics column. I will make it parse
these entries for urls and automatically create links. On that note
would anyone find it useful to have a photo column?

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
The Scotsman