[linux-audio-dev] Re: Linux VERSUS OSS ???

Fred Gleason fredg at salemradiolabs.com
Thu Oct 16 18:49:37 UTC 2003

On Thursday 16 October 2003 14:04, Jussi Laako wrote:

> SuSE is doing OK on the installation area, but their biggest problem is
> hacking the ALSA into their kernel, making it pretty difficult to change
> the kernel while keeping ALSA stuff in their distro working.

I've been running SuSE since 7.3, and have found their ALSA integration to be
excellent, with configuring soundcards just a matter of "point-and-click" in
Yast2.  I've found it's even possible to install a newer ALSA version "from
source" over the top on the SuSE stuff and still have things work quite well.

Of course, if you change the kernel version, you will have to rebuild the
modules, but that's mostly just a matter of installing the appropriate SRPM
and doing the build.

Cheers!

Fred