[linux-audio-dev] [ANN] Lemux version 0.1

Joost Yervante Damad joost at lumatec.be
Sun Sep 14 13:23:01 UTC 2003

'Frank Barknecht' wrote about 'Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] Lemux version 0.1' - Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 04:46:34PM CEST
> Hallo,
> Joost Yervante Damad hat gesagt: // Joost Yervante Damad wrote:
>
> > Lemux is a collection of (GPL) LADSPA instruments based on devices from the
> > openMSX emulator and other sources (e.g. sidplay2).
>
> Wondergreat! I've been hopeing for some oldskool sid plugins for some
> time... ;)

Great!

> Compiling it was a bit tricky: It was looking for siddefs.h which I
> created by running configure/make in resid, then copying it to the
> top directory.

Strange, it works out of the box for me. Maybe I have some
libsidplay-dev installed or something, which hides a dependency. I must
plead guilty for refusing to use automake/autoconf, because I used it
alot and it always ended up doing more harm then good, and anyway, the
source is supposed to be "selfcontained".

> I just shortly tried MUSICDrum and SCC in Pd using the plugin~ external
> where they did load fine, but whatever I tried I couldn't get sound
> out of MUSICDrum. It gave messages like:
>
> writeReg e,30
> BD ON
> HH OFF
> SD OFF
> TOM OFF
> TOP-CY OFF
> writeReg e,20
> BD OFF
> HH OFF
> SD OFF
> TOM OFF
> TOP-CY OFF
>
> so I suppose it basically is working. Maybe I use it in a wrong way?
> I don't have AMS installed, maybe I should to test the examples...

MUSICDrum for some mysterious way doesn't give any output. I still need
to dig into that deeper. Thats why it is listed on the website under
"not working yet".

> I just set BD volume to around 10 and frequency to around 100 Hz, then
> gave the BD audio in either a constant 1 as audio data or a const. 0
> to turn it off...
>
> I had more luck with SCC but the scaling of the audio output is very
> unusual. Normally (== swh-plugins) I get output in the [-1,+1] level,
> but SCC is about 100 or more times louder. Preset selection works, it
> does make sound, just too much of it.

Yeah, if [-1,1] is the "normal" output range, I should adjust all
plugins for that. I never programmed audio before, soo there might be
some more "obvious" mistakes in the code. Maybe that is because AMS
works with voltages :)

Just to be sure, currently "fully" working are:

SCCChannel (e.g. from Konami games)
PSGChannel (the standard sound chip from MSX)
MUSICChannel (the FM OPLL chip from MSX-MUSIC)

SID gives sound, but I don't get "nice" audio out of it, but I'm no C64
guy, soo that might explain it.

Thanks for the feedback, Joost