[linux-audio-dev] [ANN] Gungirl Sequencer 0.1

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Sep 15 12:18:01 UTC 2003

>I know, we should be hacking alternative interfaces ourselves, and we
>do this when we are given the opportunity.  But last time I was motivated
>to do some rewrite work on a LAD GUI tool, it was so highly interwoven
>with the underlying Toolkit in use, that it was no fun, and I gave up
>after some hours of headache producing source-code review.

i know that my approach in ardour has been to have libardour provide
mechanism, but not policy. this means that even the two are 100%
distinct from each other, you won't anything really useful relating to
UI issues in libardour at all. consequently, even in this particular
app which has the "well defined library" model that you mentioned, you
won't be able to tweeze out very much of the UI operations without
finding it totally interwoven with the GTK+ toolkit that we
use. ardour/ksi adequately presents the mixer functionality in an
ncurses interface, but doesn't touch the editing stuff, which is
intimately bound up with the Editor object in ardour/gtk.

>I am convinced that if we actually allow us to use the functionality
>you describe, we will invent a interface which is useful to us.

i'm glad that you have this faith. i sincerely and honestly hope that
you and other developers interested in blind and vision impaired users
can find a good editing model that differs from a text editor. for
myself, i lack that faith.

--p