[linux-audio-dev] Project: modular synth editor

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jan 13 17:09:56 UTC 2004

Hallo,
Dave Griffiths hat gesagt: // Dave Griffiths wrote:

> I've been considering writing a modular gui in tk - PD style (but hopefully a
> bit prettier ;P )

Pd will probably not stay with tk, and some of its ugliness is rooted
in cross-platform thoughts (like using the Courier font everywhere).

> I've come to really like using scripting languages (python) to
> create GUIs.

The jMax folks have been doing some cool stuff with Python recently in
the effort to get rid of the dependency on the proprietary Java. I
think this is a really neat approach.

Regarding a common modular patch editor: although softsynths are
relatives, there are various important differences between them. For
example, the Max family is very dependent on character input: You
create objects by creating a generic object and then giving it a name.
Afterwards the objects stay just that: a word, and it can be treated
like that (search/replace for example).

This is very much different from traditional modular synths that
follow a hardware emulation approach, like AlsaModularSynth or
Reaktor.

And then there are the modular synth languages, that have a GUI as
optional interface, like Csound. Basically they don't need a patch
editor besides Vim/Emacs.

ciao