[linux-audio-dev] Re: linuxaudio.org

Marek Peteraj marpet at naex.sk
Tue Jan 20 20:52:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 11:01, Daniel James wrote:
> > > there are people /other/ than linux audio developers who will be
> > > on the stand at Sounds Expo. its not just an audio development
> > > forum.
> >
> > such as?
>
> Users and musicians. I'm no developer - never claimed to be.

> That is what we will be promoting - there's no disagreement here.

...snip...

> It's true that I did initiate the arrangement whereby the Linux audio
> community gets representation at a major UK audio industry trade
> show,

Suddenly you're now speaking as the representative of the whole Linux
audio community. But you're not. Neither am I. The only true
representatives of the Linux Audio community are the Linux Audio
Developers.

> on the basis that we will be offering free advice and
> information rather than a sales pitch. The organisers have agreed to
> give us the stand at cost, which they didn't have to do.

So how is that different from LinuxTag or ZKM? Again, what are we trying
to promote? The only thing we should promote right now are the Linux
Audio applications. Companies have resources to promote themselves. And
it makes no sense to promote Linux Audio Users at such event.

The problem is - Frank, Joern, Matthias were doing a great job
organising events and helping the Linux Audio Developers to promote
their open source Linux Audio applications. They never called themselves
the directors of LAD.

I see ZKM as a very important event simply because it's growing into a
larger conference, an event solely aimed at Linux Audio, an event that
will be aimed at both Linux Audio Developers and Linux Audio Users this
year. A place where the developers, journalists and music industry can
meet each other.
I think such an event is much more important than any stand.

Don't get me wrong. I apreciate that you're organising an event. But
it's an event just like the other events. In no way is it more important
than the others. http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/events.php3

I urge you again to withhold the establishing of any consortium, whether
virtual or not, until a broader consensus has been reached.
That includes the election of its members.

Regarding the consortium list.
The old thread is gone. Was there anything you should hide? I believe
that another private mailing list with the old thread still exists.

Marek