[linux-audio-dev] Re: linuxaudio.org

Andrea Glorioso andrea.glorioso at agnula.org
Wed Jan 21 17:45:55 UTC 2004

Dave Robillard <drobilla at connect.carleton.ca> writes:

> I would really rather not fuel this  thread (personally I think both
> sides  are being incredibly  stupid) but this  is the one thing that
> bothers me.
>
> Why is this list closed?  Memership "will be held for approval", and
> the archive isn't available for browsing.. what gives?

`consortium-p' (`p' is  for  `prepare') was just a  temporary  mailing
list I set  up quickly to avoid  long Cc: headers (which  I personally
hate,  more often than  not I forget someone  or I receive/send double
e-mails).

If I remember correctly, it was  me who proposed creating this mailing
list (again, for purely practical reasons).

Moreover,  it's  a   habit for    me to   create    moderator-approved
subscriptions and private-archives lists.  Call  me a control freak (I
probably am).

<ironic>
I  don't know if  it's  a good or bad  habit,  but one thing is  sure:
neither Daniel nor  the rest of  the Consortium ever  told me to close
the list and keep the archives private so that we could proceed in our
secret project  to overthrow the sacred   Linux Audio Developers Guild
[0] and put them into the rapacious hands of Microsoft (of course, all
members of the Consortium are secretly paid by Microsoft).
</ironic>

> Certainly not the way things are done in the 'open source community'..

Don't take offence, but:

(a) there is no such thing as the  'open source community' - there are
many  different groups  which    work with/on/for  FLOSS,   each  with
different policies, rules (written  or not) and hierarchies  (apparent
or not);

(b) you would be surprised at knowing how  much discussion on specific
points  of various 'Open Source' projects  are held off-list.  I can't
manage, with all good will, to find it so disturbing.

For the record:

http://linuxaudio.org/en/index.html

News

    * Consortium mailing list now available
      (http://lists.linuxaudio.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/consortium/)

bye,

andrea

[0] Before someone feels the necessity to accuse me of not considering
developers enough: I think  that developers are an incredible resource
for  any computer project.   So are users,  bug  testers, doc writers,
P.R. organizers, etc, etc, etc.