[linux-audio-dev] timidity++ live

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Fri Jun 4 18:25:01 UTC 2004

Takashi Iwai wrote:

>I'm not sure in which situation it hogs the CPU on Dave's system.
>But, in general, it might be because of the sample interpolation.
>The recent timidity uses an expensive method (gaussian).  When many
>voices are used, it costs high CPU power.
>Using a cheaper one like the linear interpolation (either -N0 or
>-Efresamp=l) will help in such a case.

I'll try it and see how it works over time. I'm using TiMidity 2.11.3,
it's all right when I start using it, but if I leave it running
eventually the CPU usage climbs to a very high amount, sometimes close
to 90%, while idling.

Btw, I don't see the resamp option listed in 'timidity -h', perhaps I
need a newer version ? I'd like JACK support with TiMidity anyway, I
think the latest version now does, yes ?

Best,

dp