[linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Wed Jun 9 20:38:49 UTC 2004

Hi!

With the recent talk about plugin guis and stuff I think
it's well fitting to present a knob design experiment I
created for a LDrum redesign.

SVG vector graphics (prefered by Peter and me)
http://wrstud.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/forum/04-05-02_knobs_02.png

3d rendering variatios
http://wrstud.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/forum/04-05-02_knob_3d_1-2-3.jpg

Please see this as exemplaric, not finished work.

The basic idea is to combine graphical clearness (Abletone Live ...)
with enough plasticity to make it look 'touchable'.

And generaly about knobs:
If you ask me, radial is the only right way of mouse control for
knobs. Gives the special advantage that you can have large value
changes with small pointer movement close to the knob, or more
precision if you move the pointer away.
Not to forget that a knob says 'turn me'. Requiring linear
movement then means telling one thing while meaning something
else (bad communication practice).

---
Thorsten Wilms