[linux-audio-dev] Terminology / sampler architecture

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jun 15 17:53:54 UTC 2004

Hallo,
Thorsten Wilms hat gesagt: // Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 05:22:38PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > I have to ask: what is a sampler to you?
>
> Well, sure it's not always possible to draw a line.
> For me a true sampler follows the tradition of fairlight and akai,
> with a mostly fixed sound architecture and the sole use of
> samples as first step of sound generation.

Ah, okay. It seems you look at it from a hardware model. As I never
used electronic sound hardware this is often hard to follow for me.
(ALthough now my standard rant on software designed after hardware
could follow... ;)

> But even with systems that go beyond that, there are still
> comparable organizational matters. Assigning samples to
> note and velocity ranges, combining that with the setup
> of the following synthesis structure ...

Okay, to me a sampler is much more general: It's something which plays
back recorded sounds. Note and velocityi, filters and all this don't
belong to the sampler in my model - they are just one way to use a
sampler there, whereas there could be hundreds of others, the most
widely known of it probably are DJ-scratching and sample arranging in
Ardour.

But I think I do understand you now. You're more talking about a
keyboard-synthesizer-like instrument (maybe without keys).

I can't say much about these kinds of instruments, so I'll better stop
now.

Ciao