[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA proposal ...

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Fri May 14 17:15:37 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 13:07, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > no XML, and yes, parsable line by line, and yes, human readable. *but*
> > the plan should be to use the supplied library to get and set
> > values. nobody should be doing it themselves otherwise we end up with
> > an almighty mess.
>
> ??? Not if the data format is specified. I will fiercely resist any
> standard that is defined as a library interface.

!  Why?  This is just plain good software engineering practise.  If the
configuration is read/written through library methods, the format of the
file can be improved or changed, and everything remains extensible (who
knows what people could end up doing...)

Leaving everyone to just muck around files manually is not only an
annoying uneccessary hassle, but horrible design and a huge disaster
waiting to happen.

Something changes about the file format and everything needs to be
rewritten manually to still work?  Ew.

I suppose the question is _why_ would you "fiercely resist" this good
design practise?

- Dave Robillard