[linux-audio-dev] jack_process and pitch-shifting

Olivier Guilyardi ml at xung.org
Fri Apr 22 16:23:51 UTC 2005

Steve Harris wrote:

>On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 05:13:47PM +0200, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
>

>>In Jackbeat, I want to include support for realtime pitch shifting.
>>
>>Can I do that in the jack process callback ? Or should I span a new
>>thread and do the heavy job in there, ringbuffer'ing the result to the
>>RT thread ?
>>
>Doing heavy jobs in the process() callback is fine, as long as the CPU
>load is deterministic. I this case I think it should be.

By deterministic do you mean that the CPU time consumed by a given
process() should remain (quite) the same for each call ? Do you mean
that Jack mesures it and adapt consequently ?

Say the user starts a raw playback, and then choose to add
pitch-shifting, while playing. The CPU load would suddenly increase. Is
this bad ?

--
  og