[LAD] [Jack-Devel] JACK & MIDI

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Mon Jan 21 09:21:52 UTC 2008

> The entire keyboard/synth industry has been trying to do that for a
> decade now, and only now it's beginning to take shape (MIDI 2.0).
> There's just so much cruft in MIDI 1.0 that it's hard to extend it
> without breaking it.

I don't think its fair to say that MIDI is encumbered by cruft.  It
is encumbered by falsely-applied standards - that is to say, the MIDI
standard itself is very rarely fully implemented, properly, and then
broken out to the user in a way that exploits the full specs.
NRPN's, for example, are a mysterious voodoo, yet they are designed
to solve so many of the issues that have risen, time and again.  The
distinction between MIDI 'standard controllers' and 'manufacturer-
specific controllers' is also kablooey - we can thank Yamaha and
Roland hating each other for that issue, I think.

;
--
Jay Vaughan