[LAD] [LAU] Join the Debian Multimedia Team! (to improve the state of Linux audio)

Grammostola Rosea rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 16:17:14 UTC 2009

Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
>>> Hey Ico,
>>>
>>> I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean. While I would
>>> encourage the people from the Debian Multimedia Team to subscribe to a
>>> list
>>> like linux-audio-tuning to discuss tuning issues and grab ideas from
>>> here,
>>> I don't see how we could provide mirroring or any kind of services like
>>> this (we have limited resources), and even if we could, I don't see why
>>> *we* should do it.
>>>
>>> If I understood the original mail correctly, this initiative is
>>> meant to
>>> be
>>> integrated to *Debian*, and is meant to make the *Debian* distro
>>> better,
>>> because it is *Debian* which has issues with linux-audio. Why should
>>> linux-audio chime in ?
>>
>> Because this is an opportunity to extend distro transparency and
>> ultimately
>> allow developers to spend more time on developing rather than dealing
>> with
>> differences between distros.
>>
>> Besides, we already mirror UbuntuStudio, JACKlab, and 64Studio, so why
>> shouldn't we also encourage Debian Multimedia to join the consortium
>> and in
>> turn allow them to use whatever resources we may have.
>>
>> All that being said, I do agree with you that we have limited
>> resources, and
>> in part I am hoping that through these kinds of initiatives we could
>> bring
>> in more contributors to the core Linuxaudio.org services.
>>
> So far so good. Ardour hits testing finally, a RT kernel wishlist bug
> with patch is filed, people are working on LV2 etc.
>
> Here you can find more information about maintaining multimedia
> packages for Debian/ Ubuntu and joining the Debian Multimedia Team
> and/ or the Ubuntu MOTUMedia team.
>
> http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=817
>
> I suggest add a 'chapter' in the wiki of linuxaudio.org with
> information about maintaining packages. The information about
> Debian/Ubuntu you can find in my link. But I can imagine that also
> other distro's like to write down some information about maintaining
> multimedia packages, cause it would be nice if we could improve GNU/
> Linux audio by getting more packages into the different distro's.
>
> Please take some action here.

There is an Ubuntu package day tomorrow:
Maybe a good start to learn to build Debian/Ubuntu packages and maintain
audio packages for Debian Multimedia Team ;)

/Hello everybody,

the Ubuntu Developer Community is proud to announce the following new
initiative to help YOU find your way into developing Ubuntu.

Thursday is from now on Packaging Training day. We'll have regular
one-hour sessions in #ubuntu-classroom on irc.freenode.net where we'll
have speakers who present a packaging technique and leave enough time
for all packaging related questions you might have.

For those of you who are not familiar enough with the English language,
we'll have people in #ubuntu-classroom-{de,es,...} who will help to
translate your questions.

We will rotate session times to make sure the sessions work for all
timezones. We'll follow a 1st Thursday 6:00 UTC, 2nd Thursday 12:00 UTC,
3rd Thursday 18:00 UTC, 4th Thursday 0:00 UTC (5th Thursday 6:00 UTC)
pattern. For the first month April, we're proud to announce the
following sessions:

* 2nd April, 06:00 UTC: Daniel Holbach, Fixing an Ubuntu bug
* 9th April, 12:00 UTC: James Westby, bzr builddeb –in-15-minutes
* 16th April, 18:00 UTC: Didier Roche, How-to update a package
* 23rd April, 00:00 UTC: <Tutor>, TBA
* 30th April, 06:00 UTC: Daniel Holbach, Getting Started with Ubuntu
Development

If you want to give a session, request a session, help out as a
translator, share your comments, help with the organisation or anything
else, please head over to

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Packaging/Training

and let us know.

These sessions are going to be what we make of them, so let's make the
most out of them! Rock on everybody and see you on Thursday! :-)/