[LAD] linux audio standards base?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sun Aug 9 20:59:29 UTC 2009

On Sunday 09 August 2009 22:20:50 Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 09, 2009 at 08:56:21PM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > > What single application - apart from Mozilla - really needs more than
> > > 4GB?
> > Ardour (by the way of the os) for the cache of the soundfiles.
> > Linuxsampler (by the way of the os) to hold more of the samples data in
> > memory.
> > Aeolus (by the way of the os) to cache the generated samples.
> Absolutely not true.
> Aeolus takes around 120 MB of which 40 MB are shared (mostly X11).
> My main machine at home has just 512 MB. I've used it to mix 24-track
> Ardour sessions, it also runs Aeolus and Linuxsampler (and also both
> together) without any problem.

? Huh, thats why I said "by the way of the os". I mean that the more memory
you have (and do not use for more bloated applications:), the more memory the
system uses for caching of disk-access.
If aeolus is small that is good. Because that leaves more memory to cache the
samples (outside of aeolus itself).

Arnold