[LAD] RFC: Default discovery paths for LADSPA, LRDF, LV2 and DSSI (and more?)

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Fri Jun 26 12:51:47 UTC 2009

David Robillard schrieb:
> On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 21:47 +0100, Chris Cannam wrote:
>> (I've never really got on with the idea of using ~/.ladspa instead of
>> ~/ladspa -- these are perhaps substantial binary files, why hide them
>> in a configuration directory? -- but it seemed to be widespread for
>> LADSPA hosts at the time DSSI was thought up, so we copied it for the
>> first DSSI hosts.)
>
> It would be nice to stick with this, but it doesn't seem to really have
> a place for plugins:
>
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.6.html

Yes, please no more ~/.xyz dirs. One problem is that the spec only talks about
DATA_DIR -> e.g. rdf files, docs, ... equiv of e.g. /usr/share
CONFIG_DIR -> settings, equiv of /etc
CACHE_DIR -> e.g. a plugin cache, equiv of /var/cache

but there is nothing for plugins (equiv of /usr/lib)

I'll write to xdg-list ...

Stefan