[LAD] Tux Paint for music?

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Thu May 7 17:45:13 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 06 May 2009, Paul Coccoli wrote:
[...]
> > Ideas?
>
> Well, since you're thinking SDL, you should consider using a gamepad
> as the primary input device.  I understand it is a somewhat popular
> interface for kids these days.

I don't know about primary, but... Well, I suppose it should be
possible to support such devices if designing with them in mind.

> > I'll probably use EEL for all high level code, over a C engine.
> > EEL is probably not the most sensible choice for a Free/Open
> > Source project, but I'm using EEL for various stuff myself (mostly
> > work related), and it could use some more pilot projects to guide
> > future development.
>
> I'm not familiar with EEL.

Only one or two guys are, apart from me... :-D

It's a VM based high level language, much like Lua, designed for real
time applications.

> Maybe use fluidsynth so you can have soundfont support?  A whole
> world of cheesy keyboard sounds at your fingertips.

Could do that too, but I'd like to focus on IFFT synthesis (massively
additive synthesis implemented over IFFT, more specifically) as
the "standard" sound device. More tweakable, more fun, and extremely
compact instrument definitions. :-)

.-------  http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples  -------.
|        http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine       |
|       http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine          |