[LAD] Tux Paint for music?

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas pedro.lopez.cabanillas at gmail.com
Thu May 7 18:46:31 UTC 2009

On Wednesday, May 6, 2009, David Olofson wrote:
> My son is playing around with my little SDL based drum machine, DT-42
> again. He seems to be having fun, but I suppose he'd be better off
> with something more straight-forward (DT-42 is more like a MOD
> tracker than a conventional drum machine), and something with more
> obvious ways of creating melodies... At least, that's what I'd
> like! :-D
>
> This brings up some thoughts I've been having for years now: A really
> simple, yet somewhat useful and educational music toy. An integrated
> synth/sampler/sequencer, possibly with audio recording facilities
> down the road... Sort of like a tracker (Amiga MOD style), but with a
> more visual GUI. Probably some sort of piano roll. A bunch of nice
> sounds (I'm thinking IFFT synthesis) with some pre-wired intuitive
> timre controls. Maybe a library of drum patterns... Preferably SDL
> based and portable to all sorts of computers and devices.

Using SDL sound only (not SDL graphics) but you may want to try LMMS:

http://lmms.sourceforge.net/

It is a Fruity Loops clone, very easy to use, nice Qt GUI, pattern based,
piano roll, integrated FM and wavetable synths (can use external ones),
included library for drums and other instrument samples, can work standalone
but it is interoperable with other applications and external hardware (SDL,
Jack, OSS and ALSA drivers...),  multiplatform...

Regards,
Pedro