[LAD] [Jack-Devel] more jack/qjackctl madness

MarcO'Chapeau marco at marcochapeau.org
Sun May 17 10:20:34 UTC 2009

On Sun, 17 May 2009 11:23:03 +0200, Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net>
wrote:
> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 09:50:55AM +0200, MarcO'Chapeau wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 17 May 2009 00:31:41 +0200, Fons Adriaensen
>> <fons at kokkinizita.net>
>> wrote:
>> > A request to the jackdmp and qjackctl devs:
>> >
>> >    PLEASE REMOVE THAT DBUS MADNESS
>>
>> Hi Fons,
>>
>> As long as there's a compile time switch, I don't see how dbus could
ever
>> be a problem for those who don't want to use it...
>
> Compile time ? I'm a simple user installing things from
> a reputable distro.
>
>> and for those who do, I can tell you it works pretty well.
>
> Are you serious ?
>
> When jackd is autostarted by an app (with the wrong
> settings, a separate problem), it creates a dbus daemon
> that seems to prevent qjackctl to start jackd with
> the right settings. The result is a jackd that does
> not any way correspond the the setup in qjackctl, and
> there is no way to escape from this, except by manually
> killing the daemon. Do you call that 'working pretty
> well' ?
>
> When qjackctl starts displaying ports that don't
> exist anymore and does not display those that
> do exist (no problem with jack-0.116.1) do you
> call that 'working pretty well' ?
>
> I'd call it completely broken.

Ok. a few things here:

- dbus is not the default compile time config option. Your distro should
probably disable it (until it's stable and shiny)
- When dbus is active, it is indeed not backwards compatible with the
legacy autostart feature... I agree it might need fixing
- The behavior you describe with ports is indeed a bug and needs fixing

And for the record, "fixing a mess" doesn't always need to be "deleting all
the features that might create it".

Marc-Olivier Barre.
------
Participez au black-out anti-HADOPI :