[LAD] [Jack-Devel] more jack/qjackctl madness : some comments

Nedko Arnaudov nedko at arnaudov.name
Mon May 18 15:08:33 UTC 2009

Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net> writes:

> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 05:13:19PM +0300, Nedko Arnaudov wrote:
>
>> Fons I think we can both read C code, right?
>>
>> From posix/JackPosixServerLaunch.cpp, line 166:
>>
>> static int start_server(const char* server_name, jack_options_t options)
>> {
>>     if ((options & JackNoStartServer) || getenv("JACK_NO_START_SERVER")) {
>>         return 1;
>>     }
>>
>> #if defined(JACK_DBUS)
>>     return start_server_dbus(server_name);
>> #else
>>     jackd fork/exec stuff
>
> I can read this and it can mean different things.
>
> - This code is not involved in what happens
> - The value of the options argument is wrong.

It is involved in what happenes. At least from what I've got about the
problem you have.

You have installed jack package that does not work well with
qjackctl (dbus enabled one). Your application autostarted jack server
through dbus. But you havent configured it. QJackCtl is dbus
ignorant. You should not use qjackctl with jackdbus system. Unless you
know what you are doing. Or unless qjackctl gets jackdbus support.

jackdrc style commandline options for jackd are for jackd. They are not
used for jackdbus. They cant be used for jackdbus. Because of the object
activation works in all distributed object systems I know. This includes
DCOM and D-Bus.

>> presence of process with "jackdbus auto' commandline those not mean that
>> *server* is started. This is the dbus service, not the jack server
>> running.
>
> I know that. The fact remains that when the 'jackdus auto'
> daemon is running a jackd is started whenever qjackctl is
> started. You can go on to deny this, but that doesn't
> change the facts.

So you complain about qjackctl missing support for jackdbus? Having that
will be nice :)

--
Nedko Arnaudov <GnuPG KeyID: DE1716B0>