[LAD] [Jack-Devel] jackd/jackdbus : D-Bus or not D-Bus...

Stéphane Letz letz at grame.fr
Tue May 19 10:56:40 UTC 2009

Le 19 mai 09 à 12:37, Rui Nuno Capela a écrit :

> On Tue, May 19, 2009 10:32, Stéphane Letz wrote:
>>>
>>> (there are two 5)'s above but i'll refer to the first one)
>>>

>>> i vote for the 5) auto-start strategy. user selects which one he/she
>>> prefers. the default should be "classic" and i would add fallback to
>>> "d-bus" and/or "osc" whatever. i still fail to see the problem of
>>> honoring .jackdrc if it exists on your home directory. ie.
>>> if .jackdrc
>>> exists then do the "classic" auto-start; if not, check d-bus
>>> service;
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> byee --
>>> rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
>>

>> But since some applications like Qjackctl or Ardour write  this
>> ".jackdrc" file in a possible hidden way for the average user, then
>> the system possibly goes back in the "classic" auto-start strategy,
>> without any knowledge of that.
>>

> qjackctl can already opt to not write any .jackdrc. ardour may vary. i
> would assume it to use the jack control api in a near future. the same
> would apply to qjackctl. then everybody will be happy again ;)
>
> i was asking for a default strategy, call it "auto", which will try
> "classic" first, then "d-bus", then whatever.
>
> the main question, at least in my mind, is all about *which*
> settings will
> be used to auto-start the server, isn't it? an explicit command
> line, as
> in "classic", should *always* take precedence over the settings in any
> internal configuration database, which i think the "d-bus" honors
> instead
> and that latter behavior is being the root of all "d-bus" evil.
> scnrt ;)
>
> cheers
> --

My feeling is that is we choose the runtime auto-start strategy, then
we should not mix anything concerting setting management. Each
"incarnation" of server has it's own view of setting management and
this has to stay completely separated from any other view. If the used
chose "classic" auto-start strategy (that would stay the default yes)
then he is supposed to know that he has to use "classic" control tools
(Qjackctl..). If the user chose  "D-Bus" auto-start strategy, then he
knows he has to use D-Bus aware control tools only and so on...

Stephane