[LAD] [Jack-Devel] jackd/jackdbus : D-Bus or not D-Bus...

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue May 19 13:40:58 UTC 2009

Krzysztof Foltman wrote:
> Mixing those two models on one system is more trouble than it's worth -
> there are no benefits whatsoever, and any extra code to convert settings
> from one version to another is only adding to bloat and resulting
> bugginess. I don't even know why is it possible to install both versions
> of jackd at the same time, while client library only supports starting
> one of them. Ideally, jackdbus shouldn't even allow jackd binary to
> exist in $PATH (and vice versa), to prevent the exact kind of situation
> that Fons is experiencing.

This is an inherently non commercial way of looking at things.

The commercial viewpoint is that we have to look after the existing
"customers" and maintain a usable version that doesn't enforce too much
extra effort on their part. However we have the opportunity to
completely bypass that step so if the new phase can be made accessible
with very little (as in no) learning curve for existing users then we
should be able to move forward without any pain.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd