[LAD] [Jack-Devel] jackd/jackdbus : D-Bus or not D-Bus...

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Tue May 19 19:03:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 02:06:05PM -0400, drew Roberts wrote:

> I think what he was saying was that jackdbus would check for jackd in $PATH
> and complain bitterly / refuse to sintall / whatever. Not that it would try
> and control what $PATH was set to.

Indirectly that amounts to limiting my choice for
setting $PATH.

The idea that a single app should have any impact
on such things is IMHO near to unthinkable.

More generally, this sort of thing is pure Big
Brother, and I don't need one, no matter how good
his intentions may be.

The two other examples I mentioned were not chosen
randomly. We now have file systems that are not
in /etc/fstab being mounted from X init scripts,
doesn't matter if you want them or not and even
root can't remove them, and device permissions set
by display managers.

Both are examples of braindead ways to do things,
both originate from the same source. Dbus ties
jackd to the desktop and is just one more example
of the same insane evolution.

Ciao,

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.