[LAD] [Jack-Devel] jackd/jackdbus : D-Bus or not D-Bus...

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Tue May 19 21:07:13 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 19 May 2009 15:03:28 Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 02:06:05PM -0400, drew Roberts wrote:
> > I think what he was saying was that jackdbus would check for jackd in
> > $PATH and complain bitterly / refuse to sintall / whatever. Not that it
> > would try and control what $PATH was set to.
>
> Indirectly that amounts to limiting my choice for
> setting $PATH.

I am not so sure. (But I am open to being convinced.)

If I write two programs which I know cannot coexist and I set it so that the
newer one checks for the existence of the older one and pitches a hissy fit
if a person tries to install both, is it really a problem. (I am not saying
that I think this would be the ideal solution by the way.)

> The idea that a single app should have any impact
> on such things is IMHO near to unthinkable.
>
> More generally, this sort of thing is pure Big
> Brother, and I don't need one, no matter how good
> his intentions may be.
>
> The two other examples I mentioned were not chosen
> randomly. We now have file systems that are not
> in /etc/fstab being mounted from X init scripts,
> doesn't matter if you want them or not and even
> root can't remove them, and device permissions set
> by display managers.
>
> Both are examples of braindead ways to do things,
> both originate from the same source. Dbus ties
> jackd to the desktop and is just one more example
> of the same insane evolution.

I think I saw someone say that the dbus jack could be used without a desktop.
(Is that the case? Anyone?) If so and it is indeed now tied in for your setup
where it doesn't need to be, should we try and run down who is responsible
for the tie in?

In general though, I agree with you. I don't like people needlessly deciding
one what people will and will not want to do and then needlessly deciding
that they will prevent them from doing what they don't need to do.

I have done some pretty odd things in my time for my own reasons and have been
quite happy with the results, all things considered.

> Ciao,

all the best,

drew