[LAD] [OT] Richard Stallman warns against ChromeOS

Tim E. Real termtech at rogers.com
Fri Dec 17 19:23:45 UTC 2010

On December 16, 2010 05:39:21 pm you wrote:

> > > 1802 CPU fan here too. Mine was RCA COSMAC VIP 1802.
> > > Added 3 channel sound (Famous G.I. AY3- chip) and
> > >  colour graphics with T.I. 9918 chip, after read Circuit Cellar article
> > > on it. Oh what fun...
> >
> > My first system was, IIRC, an Intersil 6100 (single-chip pdp-8 clone)
> > that my Dad designed and I wire-wrapped.  It had a four digit LED
> > display and a keypad.  I wrote my first real-world-affecting
> > program on it by using a 74c06 as a speaker driver, controlling it
> > with a single bit, and then flipping that bit with a hand-coded loop
> > to make all kinds of sirens.  Good times!
> > - Dan
>
> Aaaaaaaaaaargh, I had an amp from an established company, can't remember
> this company, everything was connected by wire-wrapping, so indeed a
> good discrete circuit, but the wire-wrapping did cause defects. Btw. I
> prefer good old leaded solder, but leaded solder in Germany isn't
> allowed anymore. We should start to wire-wrap all electronic devices for
> our politicians here :p.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Ralf

Yeah, the trouble with lead-free solder is that EVERY joint looks cloudy
 cold and bad, even if it's good. Very hard to tell if it's a good joint.
A bit frustrating from technician viewpoint.
Different type of product as well. Choose carefully.
When repairing, Mfr A says use this type, Mfr B says use that type.
Leaded solder still available here, but can't be used in new products.

If all else fails, use chewing gum and wrappers, like McGyver!

Tim.