[LAD] GPL and plugins

Nils Hammerfest list at nilsgey.de
Mon Jun 21 13:45:00 UTC 2010

Hello,

in Denemo, which is GPL, (http://www.denemo.org) we had a similar problem. Our plugins are scripted scheme code and scheme is just a language. So what about user scripts? Are they just programs and the author can decide or are they GPL, too?
Since we are GNU we could ask the "bosses" directly :)

In our case Denemo exports special Scheme commands from C so you have to use them which makes the scripts a derived work under GPL, which is nice because we don't need the authors permission to include it in our website or integrate it in our "mainline" command set.
The key here is that our plugins can only be run with one host, Denemo.

So this is an example the other way around, that the GPL (intends to/) covers plugins if they are derived in a way that they are only runnable for a single host software.

Nils