[LAD] Some new things to play with

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Mon Oct 11 12:33:13 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 01:02:09PM +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:

> Are they also available from some repository (svn, git,..)?

No. Most projects here are in svn and I'm exploring git
for a few of them. But the repositories are not nor will
ever be on a public server. There is no team development
on any of my projects, and I'm not planning any.

> watching http://www.kokkinizita.net/linuxaudio/downloads/index.html
> and upgrading apps there (which are not [yet] in common distributions)
> by hand is kind of tiresome, even more so since your Makefiles do not
> support 'make uninstall'.

Well... they are *source* packages. All it takes is download,
unpack, cd, sudo make install. The 'make remove' is a good idea,
I will be adding it to new releases. OTOH, the installed size of
e.g. zita-rev1 (binary and *.png) is less than 100k, so little
is gained by removing it.

> The nice thing is that your Makefiles are pretty clean. using dh_make,
> DESTDIR and quilt (change PREFIX to /usr)

you can define PREFIX on the make command line as well, there's
no need to modify the Makefile

> makes it easy to debianize them for local packaging; however if
> one could use git-buildpackage it would be even nicer.

Installer managed packages (taking care of dependencies etc.)
should be provided by the packagers of your distro, there's
no way I can do this. I don't even provide them for the distro
I use myself.

Ciao,

--
FA