[LAD] [ANN] Qtractor 0.5.4 - Echo Victor shouts out!

Albert Graef Dr.Graef at t-online.de
Sun Mar 4 21:27:27 UTC 2012

On 03/04/2012 06:32 PM, David Robillard wrote:
> What do you mean by "pick the OSC addresses that I want"?

I mean those symbols with the slashes that are the first part of any
atomic OSC message like /foo/bar 4711.0. Usually such a symbol would
denote the particular control that the value applies to. When using OSC
as input to or output from automation, obviously I'd have to specify
which OSC addresses I want to be mapped to which automation parameter.

However, I'd actually prefer a kind of separate OSC track which would be
connected to OSC inputs and outputs and listens for all OSC messages on
its OSC inputs, no matter what the addresses are. So (an ASCII
representation of) the contents of such a track might look like

# delta  OSC addr  value
0   /foo/bar  0.78
10  /reverb1/wet  0.3
5   /foo/bar  0.66
etc. etc.

By these means the OSC track would just record any messages that it
receives on its inputs, and I might then map them to the appropriate
automation parameters on other (audio and MIDI) tracks in the DAW, or
just have them played back via the OSC outputs assigned to the track, in
order to drive some other application like Pd.

Dave, will you be at LAC in April? I'd really like to discuss this in
more detail with you, but it's much easier to do this in a room together
and with a whiteboard and a data projector within reach. ;-) If there's
enough interest, maybe we could do a "control beyond midi" brainstorming
session at LAC? Maybe Rui wants to join us there, and I know that some
guys at CCRMA are also interested in this. I guess that the organizers
can allocate us a time slot and a room with the necessary equipment if
we just ask for it.

Albert

P.S.: Rui, apologies for hitchhiking your thread. I hope that you will
forgive me over a glass of good Californian wine. ;-)

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  Dr.Graef at t-online.de, ag at muwiinfa.geschichte.uni-mainz.de
WWW:    http://www.musikinformatik.uni-mainz.de/ag