[LAD] GPL & cc-by-3.0

hermann meyer brummer- at web.de
Sun Jun 16 16:22:47 UTC 2013

Am 16.06.2013 17:53, schrieb Nils Gey:
> On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 17:46:20 +0200
> hermann meyer <brummer- at web.de> wrote:
>
>> Am 16.06.2013 14:10, schrieb Nils Gey:

>>> You didn't even need the permission. That is what I wrote at first: CC-by implies that you can relicense the work with a more strict license at any time. From cc-by-sa over GPL up to closed source. As long as you keep the authors name around.
>>>
>>> Since I don't know the actual code/object/thing we are talking about you might have stepped in the jungle yourself now:
>>> If that work is a binary work like audio data then the GPL is the wrong license. GPL is all about source code and its binary form. You can't simply redifine other data as source code and then say "the rest is GPL".
>>>
>>> If the original work was already fitting for CC-by (and not a mislicensed piece of code) then CC-by-sa might be much more appropriate, since it is the binary-data equivalent of the GPL.
>>>
>>> In any case and bottom line: All that matters not if you don't modify.
>>>
>>> Have fun!
>>>
>>> Nils
>> umpf, back in the jungle, or what?
>> Indeed we talk about (impulse response) wav files.
>> I've contacted now the debian maintainer from our package, to ask him
>> what debian will prefer / accept.
>>
>> thanks for your informative input Nils, I know you have fight some time
>> with the possible licenses of audio files for sample library’s, so I
>> guess you are right with what you said.
>>
>> greets
>> hermann
>
> hm, impulse resonance. Now that is an interesting case. Because you are not actually using it as a sample file (it is not used as a snippet, how-ever short, to create a larger piece) but as a source for data. You could (in theory) also hardwire the information you parsed from the IR file into your code.
>
> I say this because, if I were a lawyer, the interesting question is if somebody would claim that audio processed with an IR file becomes a derived work of the IR file itself. My strong guess is: no, not a derived work.
>
> To keep it safe, in this case, keep the file CC-by. There is nothing wrong with CC-by, it is super permissive and, most important: it matters not if somebody considers ir-processed audio derived or not, since CC-by does not care about derived works and copyleft.
>
> Don't relicense, keep the cc-by. Maximum compatibility, no problems (even theoretical ones).
>
> Nils

Okay, I've got a answer by my debian maintainer, he said, that for the
case of wav files, debian prefer the GPL. He said that the GPL didn't
request source code, but all "source" must be available in the usually
lowest compressed level for working with that format. For audio data
that is indeed the wav format. CC-BY v3.0 will be accepted as well, but
it increase the needed work for the (debian) package maintainer, if
those files are distributed together with a GPL'd program.
I've no idea about if a processed file becomes a derived work,  . . . ,

greets
hermann