[LAD] JACK, cgroups and systemd

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Mon Jan 13 21:27:20 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 04:57:48PM +0100, Dominique Michel wrote:

> That's not the matter. When I installed it, systemd was installed, and
> it doesn't work with a non automatic cgroups configuration. For what I
> know, it will be the same problem with any installation using
> systemd, that because the cgroup feature of systemd is designed to only
> work with the automatic kernel cgroups stuff, or to reproduce it.
>
> In the case of a rt setup as the one on the jack wiki, this just fail
> because systemd is designed to pollute the only cpu group we are using,
> which is a real time group, with applications that have nothing to do
> in it, and this is so bad it can result into a complete system freeze.

I have systemd on ten or so machines, all of them doing quite
intensive audio work, and have no problems at all with it.
All these machines run Archlinux, the default setup limits
RT use to 95%.

Apart from that, I'd agree that systemd was a nice idea but
has grown into a bigger problem than whatever it tried to
solve. The comment by another poster was exactly to the point:
systemd defines policy while it should only provide methods
to implement policies.

Ciao,

--
FA