[LAD] A bit more MIDI clarification please

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Sun Oct 5 18:27:01 UTC 2014

Lets say we have a synth and a sequencer connected via jack.

The sequencer spits out a command timed at position 4 (i'm deliberately keeping
the numbers generic), and the synth then knows that on the 4th sample it has to
do whatever the command says - again, I know it's a bit more 'interesting' than
that. All fine and dandy, the synth bundles up it's data an chucks the buffer
full of audio to jack.

But, what happens if the synth was registered with jack before the sequencer?
Presumably it is now going to get it's MIDI data *after* it has already
processed that callback.

Say now, I have this brilliant counter melody idea - well, it could happen :)
However, I don't have a keyboard with me. Still I can just fire up jack
keyboard and link it to the sequencer. Only now. the sequencer is pushing out
its MIDI data before it gets anything from the keyboard.

I know this sounds contrived but I have frequently done exactly this, using
alsa MIDI, and I confess I've no idea what actually happens in that situation
either!

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk