[LAD] Writing to an eventfd from a realtime thread

William Light wrl at illest.net
Wed Sep 24 11:21:40 UTC 2014

Hey everybody,

I've got this audio app I'm writing which uses message passing to
communicate between threads (similar to the actor model). A message
channel consists of a ring-buffer for the actual message storage, and
then an eventfd so that a thread can block on its channel (or,
importantly, several).

At the moment, when the audio thread (the JACK callback) needs to send a
message over a channel to another thread, it follows the common codepath
of appending the message to the channel's ring-buffer and then
write()ing to the eventfd. I suspect this is not real-time safe, but is
it something I should lose sleep over?

-w