[LAD] A History of Audio on Linux somewhere?

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.at
Thu Feb 3 22:43:50 CET 2022

... only a secondary linux anecdote: MAAS

Maybe too young and too encourages we wanted a transition from expensive SGIs
and NeXT to affordable Linux systems for our multichannel sound installation
art projects. They first had nice audio libraries, the concept for float
multichannel libraries with audio daemons was all there and also inspired by
the DSP System "Romeo und Julia" veröffentlich in C´t 5-7/96), I started
"Modular Accelerated Audio System" - MAAS  and therefore kernel driver
development for multichannel audio devices.

- https://users.iem.at/~ritsch/hardware/maas/

(just found the Homepage, never updated...)

We failed somehow, since the Motorolla DSP PCI bus was to tricky...,
anyhow for MAAS we also started multichannel audio kernel drivers, where OSS
did not work, since only stereo and not open source...

... later on for a first Ambisonics system for an art installation to finish
in 1999 in Vienna, I got an RME9632 and there was no kernel, also no ALSA, so
I started an own one, which was adapted later by Paul, thanks again for doing
that, for ALSA.
The discurs was:  proposal of a /dev/dspN for each channel and not one device
for many channels and also drafted "esd", (enanced sound daemon) on IEM with
Guenther Geiger ... but since a lack of "communication abilities on mailing
lists" never got a rough consensus within the linux community for this ...
anyhow some code survived and RME cards still works until today...

mfg
   winfried

--
- ao.Univ.Prof. DI Winfried Ritsch