[LAT] amd64: kernels? base system?

james of jwm-art net james at jwm-art.net
Tue Dec 2 13:52:56 EST 2008

Hi,

I want a system purely for audio production on my amd64. Mainly latest
ardour for audio, plus stuff for midi sequencing, effects, sound editing
etc. Visiting internet cafe to download source code for this stuff.

I've read about patching 2.6 kernels but had not realised it was
required.
Is 2.6.27.7 still flakey for realtime, is there a patch for it? Any
recommendations for kernel + patch for amd64?

I'm using a coverdisc of debian lenny as a minimal base system + xorg +
fluxbox (can't stomache gnome dependancies), am wondering if maybe a
better choice might be had, regarding development libraries included in
an ISO which would satisfy dependancies for building the s/w most
important (like ardour2.7, etc etc)?

Cheers,
James.