[LAT] To much latency

Rafael Vega email.rafa at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 00:25:13 UTC 2011

Hello Everyone,

I'm having a similar problem so I'll take the liberty to jump into this
thread, let me know if I should create a new thread instead.

My laptop is a MacBookPro8,1 with i7 processor, 8GB ram, built-in intel
HDA soundcard, dual boot setup with mac os + jack + ardour and 64 bit
Ubuntu Studio 11.04 + jack + ardour + QTractor.

On MacOS, jack works really well with the default settings:
/usr/local/bin/jackd -R -d coreaudio -p 64 -r 44100 -i 2 -o 2 -C
AppleHDAEngineInput:1B,0,1,0:1 -P AppleHDAEngineOutput:1B,0,1,1:0

But on Ubuntu, the only way I can get sound that sounds clear (no
distortion or clicks) is by setting the "force 16 bit" flag and 4096
frames. I tried some of the troubleshooting guides out there and
compiled the latest version of ALSA but the result was the same. I also
tried AVLinux which comes with a preemptive kernel but still the same :(

Also, If I use ALSA directly on an application that supports it
(pd-extended for example) the latency feels a lot shorter than using
jack with the settings I described (I havent measured it, don't know how).

If it helps, here's the output of cat /proc/asound/card*/codec* | grep
-i codec

Codec: Cirrus Logic CS4206
Codec: Intel CougarPoint HDMI

Has anyone successfully setup this kind of sound card on Linux + Jack?
Any tips on setting up jack?

Thanks!

RV.