[linux-audio-user] mp3 live-encoding with sox and lame

Christoph Rupp chr1701 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 9 04:09:00 EST 2002

Hello list!

(I have searched for an answer to this question in
google and some other lists but didn't find something
helpful... sorry if this has been asked before)

i want to have realtime-encoding of my soundcard
line-in with sox and lame (or something similar - i
need command line tools). Now i use

rec -t wav -r 44100 - | lame -m m -a -b 64 -

(i need 44.1 khz/64 kbit). But all 5 or 7 hours sox
crashes; there's an older thread on the sox mailing
list:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=1083489&forum_id=3958

which says that this is due to a counter in the wav
header which overflows and that you should use .raw
instead of .wav. But whatever i use doesn't sound
right:

sox -t ossdsp -w -s /dev/dsp -t raw -r 44100 -c 2 - |
lame -r -m j -b 64 -x -s 44.1
--resample 44.1 -

It sounds dump:
http://www.kochenmachtspass.de/test3-ms.mp3

I have tried many other options like -c 1 (leads to
noise) but i cannot find a solution... Maybe someone
of you knows a solution?

Thanks
Chris

=====