[linux-audio-user] ShakeTracker+ASecVew->bristol = ?

frank pirrone fpirrone at localnet.com
Mon Oct 7 20:44:01 EDT 2002

nikodimka wrote:

> I've tried to control the Bristol synth by
> ShakeTracker+ASeqView (running as it is explained
> in "HOWTO Use MIDI Sequencers With Softsynths")
> I run bristol with "-midi seq" option.
>
> It works in principle...
> But I got the following strange behavior:
>
> the tones the Bristol produces are one note late of what must be done.
> But the timing is correct.
> I mean if I write in Saketracker:
> ===
> E#
> C#
>  ..
> F#
> E#
> ==
>
> In Bristol it is played like:
>
> ==
> ..
> E#
> ..
> C#
> F#
> ==
>
> So the questions are:
>
> Who's fault this is? Bristol's, aseqview's, shaketracker's, alsa-seq's or mine :) ?
>
> How can I debug this by myself?
> I mean how can I trace the midi data sent?
>
> thanks,
> nikodimka

> http://faith.yahoo.com

Nikodimka,

Sorry that I am not familiar with Bristol, but have been delighted with the
interoperability of these applications:

Alsa, Jack, iiwusynth, fluid-r3-gm.sf2, Muse, Ardour, qjackconnect, and kaconnect.

If I launch iiwusynth like this:

iiwusynth -a alsa -m alsa_seq -V /usr/local/lib/soundfonts/fluid-r3-gm.sf2

key in gain 1.2 and prog 0 17

open kaconnect and connect my MidiSport interface box port to the iiwusynth port (72:0
to 128:0)

turn on my CPS-101 and play away.  Awesome Hammond organ sound and a display of all
MIDI events scrolling in the xterm.

If I do the same with Jack (iiwusynth -a jack etc.)  I can connect meterbridge with
qjackconnect and have a couple of VU meters running on the screen as I play

meterbridge -r -12 -t vu iwysynth:left iiwusynth:right

Now, if I open the MIDI sequencer MusE, I can connect to the external soft synth under
its ports dialog, and if I open Ardour, I can connect a couple of routes to the output
of MusE and record wave files!

Awesome!

Frank