[linux-audio-user] linux/ xbox/ audio??

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Oct 8 10:12:01 EDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 02:31:42 +0100, matthew yee-king wrote:
> It occurred to me that these boxes might make nifty little DAWs. They
> look quite rugged and you could fit one in your bag. There isn't any

Only if you have a big bag!

> no specifics on audio there either... anyone know any more?

[All IIRC] its hardware mixed (not that that matters for proaudio), and
it has some envronmental audio features. It may have hardware assist AC3
encoding too. The audio out is locked to 48k.

The biggest problem would be the HD, which has a very slow IDE interface.

IMHO, the PS2 is a better target. Sony support linux on it, it has decent
DSP chips, a faster HD and real USB and firewire ports. Plus its smaller.

I am teaching audio programming for games sytems this year ;)

- Steve