[linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Oct 9 18:48:00 EDT 2002

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 04:36:15 -0600, Darren Landrum wrote:
> format the app can handle. (As an aside, an open source developer on the Mac
> had claimed to write a dithering algorithm in BASIC that tests and works
> better than Apogee. I will try to track this down again, and let everyone
> know where it is, if they are interested.)

I've seen it. Some of the algoriths he uses are obviously wrong (ie. dont
do what he claims). I didn't bother analysing his anti A weighted dither -
theres not a lot of point. Its all down to getting a curve that is the
inverse of the human hearing curve.

There is a decent anti-A dither (5th order IIRC) in jack.
sample_move_dither_shaped_*(), memops.c

Some poeple claim that the error feedback is more inmportant than dither
anyway <shrug>.

- Steve