[linux-audio-user] How do you make an ogg?

jordan muscott jordan at no-future.com
Sat Oct 12 10:22:00 EDT 2002

On 12 Oct 2002 09:44:28 -0400
Laura Conrad <lconrad at laymusic.org> wrote:

>A technical but mostly non-linux friend was asking me about where Ogg
>Vorbis is relative to MP3's, given the current status of MP3 encoding
>software.
>
>I did a quick test of making an ogg from a wav, and my naive version
>produced:
>
>[lconrad at tuba renfaire]$ ls -l hercules*
>-rw-rw-r--    1 lconrad  lconrad   4526080 Aug 18 14:14 hercules2.mp3
>-rw-rw-r--    1 lconrad  lconrad  12220015 Sep  3 12:30 hercules2.ogg
>-rw-rw-r--    1 lconrad  lconrad  49956104 Aug 18 14:09 hercules2.wav
>
>I used ecasound to do the encoding, but what my ecasoundrc says it did
>is:
>
>ext-ogg-output-cmd = oggenc --raw -o %f
>
>oggenc is:
>
>[lconrad at tuba renfaire]$ oggenc -v
>OggEnc v0.8 (libvorbis rc2)
>

>So my question is, is there a way to get the ogg file down closer to
>the size of the mp3 file?

Hi Laura,

What might give you a better comparison would be to look at the bit
rates that the mp3/oggs are encoded at. Im not sure on the exact figures
for relative file sizes of mp3s/oggs, but you should definately be able
to get a 'good' sounding ogg that has a smaller file size than that.

for example, here is a comparison of an ogg and an mp3 on my box:
-rw-rw-r--    1 jordan   jordan    5358446 Apr 22 15:08 parse_error.mp3
-rw-rw-r--    1 jordan   jordan    3630351 May  1 13:31 parse_error.ogg

here, i have encoded the mp3 at 192 kBits, 44.1 kHz, Stereo, whilst the
ogg is 128 kBits, 44.1 kHz, Stereo.

I haven't used ecasound to produce oggs, but it looks likes it makes use
of oggenc , which is what i used. You can use the -b option to oggenc to
set the bitrate of the ogg you are producing, so lets say you had a wav
called music.wav, you could do something like:

oggenc -b 120  music.wav

which would encode you an ogg called music.ogg at 120kBits.

hope this helps.

jordan.