[linux-audio-user] latency questions

D R Holsbeck drh at niptron.com
Tue Oct 15 22:30:01 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 17:48, G. M. Bodnar wrote:
> I was running through the low-latency howto and I ran into a couple
> things that seem to be hindering process.
>
> First off, I'll mention that I'm using a Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop.
> I'm running debian unstable with 2.4.19.

I a,m running the same setup on an IBM A31 Thinkpad, and do not have
problems with latencies. Even while running 24chs in Ardour, using a an
RME H-DSP interface. So I would venture that your problem has more to do
with Dell than Linux.

> 1) DMA transer won't enable.  I've enabled DMA transfers in the kernel
> as suggested by the howto.  However, I'm unable to turn on dma access
> with hdparm.  I'm told the operation is not permitted.

More evidence that it is a hardware issue. Or hardeware/software
incompatibiliy to be more politicly correct.

> 2) IRQ mess.  dmesg lists that almost every device that is detected is
> on irq 10, including the onboard sound (i8x0) and video card (nVidia).
> As a result, in X, I get static and pops as the audio is delayed.
> Searching further, I noticed a message saying the APIC wasn't being used
> due to a buggy bios provided by Dell.  This could explain why everything
> is pushed to IRQ 10.

All my devices end up on 11, but APIC takes care of things nicely.

drh at niptron.com

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre
minds.
      		-- Albert Einstein

They laughed at Einstein.  They laughed at the Wright Brothers.  But
they
also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
		-- Carl Sagan