[linux-audio-user] SACD backup?

Alexy Khrabrov alexy.khrabrov at setup.org
Thu Oct 17 03:14:00 EDT 2002

Greetings -- I've got two toys recently, an HP200e DVD+RW and a Sony NCD650
5 DVD/SACD/CD/VCD player.  HP backs up a DVD in 5 minutes, 24 minutes reburn.
Sony plays the transcoded VCDs, which are inferior and I just did it to see
that fact.

But with the SACD, I can't find any info on ripping it.  Can I use my DVD+RW
HP to read it in?  And why isn't there toslink output on the Sonly for SACD --
it says it's for DVD only, and indeed nothing comes out when I use the optical,
I have to connect 6 cables and switch the receiver into DVD 5.1 ch mode to hear
the SACD, and then the subwoofer is surprisingly soft (even with the +10dB max
increase on the Sony).  Mind you, my sub is a 3 ft tall Yamaha w/Helmholtz
folded tube inside, it rocks the house with DVDs...

Any hints on SACD backup would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Alexy