[linux-audio-user] Reliable archival of recordings

Anthony DiSante orders at nodivisions.com
Sat Dec 20 04:36:14 EST 2003

Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
>

>>around, I'm not sure if I wanna spring the $200 for a pair of 120G+
>>drives.  But we all know I'll regret getting something smaller.
>
> [...]
>
>>	Does anyone here have some other clever solutions to getting
>>reliable archives of recordings?  My ardour sessions, even for demos

Well, if you've ruled out the backup-to-harddisk option then this might not
be for you, but it's really simple, so I thought I'd share.

I have a pair of 120GB drives in my system, and a single 250GB drive as
backup (Western Digital with 8MB cache and 3-year warranty, just bought at
thenerds.net for $233US).  The backup drive is in an external USB2/Firewire
enclosure, and I connect it once a week (twice if I'm feeling paranoid that
week) to do the backup:

rsync -av --delete --exclude '/mnt/backup/' / /mnt/backup/

So /mnt/backup/ is then an exact copy of /, and the best part is, it's
bootable and functions just like the original drive(s) if I stick it on the
motherboard.  And the backup process usually takes just about a half an
hour, depending on how much new data I've added, of course.

-Anthony
http://nodivisions.com/