[linux-audio-user] Re: My Edirol UA-20 arrived, but now I have a big problem!

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu Feb 20 15:05:00 EST 2003

> Steve Harris hat gesagt: // Steve Harris wrote:
>
> > Yup, I've had ground loops on my dell when connecting to a projector
> > and a mixer. Put a DI box between the laptop and amp or unplug from
> > the mains :)

I've also found that (here in the US)
I can get by with plugging the laptop power supply into one of those
adapters that's supposed to be used to connect a 3-prong plug into
a 2-prong socket, with a little metal tab you're supposed to connect
to the socket's mounting screw to provide ground; but which
can also be used to break the ground connection just by ignoring
the little tab. For me, that kills the noise.

I suspect that a mains isolation transformer might also do the trick,
but I don't have one to try.

of course, the ground pin is provided for a reason...
so please don't sue me if you fry your laptop, or yourself.
YMMV and all that.

--

Paul Winkler
home:  http://www.slinkp.com