[Just Talk] Re: [linux-audio-user] Why we need graphic designers

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jan 22 11:21:01 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 04:29:11 +0100, Christian Henz wrote:
> On top of that, you'd also have rotation and scaling with very little CPU
> overhead so you don't even have to bother providing several frames of your
> knobs, while getting higher precision.

Well, knobs look funny if you just rotate them (I tried that first), you
really need many frames.

> Maybe one could start a project to create a library of 'standard' widgets
> (knobs, faders, waveform viewers etc.) for the different toolkits, they
> could be easily customised by providing different textures...

Good idea. The main task is creating the pixmap strips, once you have the
graphics making them work in a toolkit is easy (I used SDL, but it could
just as well have been OpenGL, GTK or QT).

> The only problem I see is that some video cards still don't have 3D
> accelerated drivers...

Sure, then you have to fall back to software rendering. Its potentially a
problem for me 'cos I run my laptop without 3D so it will suspend relaibly.

- Steve